Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

How The Capitol Police Ended Up Outnumbered and Overwhelmed

How The Capitol Police Ended Up Outnumbered and Overwhelmed

 Yesterday, a mob of election protesters descended on the U.S. Capitol building, tearing down barriers and forcing entry as the House and Senate convened to certify the 2020 presidential results. 

One woman, a retired Air Force Veteran, was shot and killed while attempting to climb through a barricaded door, and three others died from separate “medical complications,” according to the DC Chief of Police. As both chambers were put on lockdown and staff members evacuated from the premises, social media was flooded with footage of rioters roaming freely through the Capitol, vandalizing busts in Statuary Hall, breaking glass display cases, and even rummaging through the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. 

Though the building was soon secured, with protesters arrested or removed, many Americans were left wondering: where’s all the security?

The answer is complicated. Ahead of the protest, federal authorities reportedly wanted to maintain a “minimally visible presence” to “avoid inflaming tensions,” after months of violent protests and riots in cities across America. 

Despite advanced knowledge of the impending protest, United States Capitol Police — the federal law enforcement agency tasked with protecting the complex — declined to request additional support ahead of time from the Department of Homeland Security, according to one senior official. 

As a result, Capitol Police Officers, most without riot gear or other protective equipment, were left largely alone for over an hour. 

What are the details?

Ashli Babbit is the name of the victim. KUSI-TV reported that "she was a 14 year veteran, she served four tours with the U.S. Air Force, and was a high level security officer throughout her time in service."

Babbit's husband spoke with the outlet, who relayed that his wife was "a strong supporter of President Trump and was a great patriot to all who knew her."

WTTG-TV reporter Lindsay Watts also confirmed Babbit's identity by speaking with her family. Watts tweeted out a photo of the veteran, saying Babbit "owned a business with her husband" who "did not come to DC" with her.

Babbit's mother-in-law told Watts, "I really don't know why she decided to do this."

Authorities are still investigating the incident and have not released the details surrounding Babbit's death, including who shot the victim or if anyone has been arrested.

Videos of the shooting viewed by TheBlaze are too graphic to publish, but continue to circulate social media. Fox News host Tucker Carlson took the same stance in his commentary over the incident.

During the siege of the Capitol, protesters stormed the Senate chambers. Video footage of the shooting appears to show Babbit outside the doors of the House chamber, and shows her attempting to climb through a window into the chamber when a shot is heard and she drops to the ground.

She died later at a local hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]